The Aberdeenshire CD 3.1
This CD contains fully searchable transcriptions in XHTML format of material collected or created in the course of my own family history research over more than twenty-five years. Unlike most publishers, all content on these CDs has been transcribed and proof-read by hand to reduce the number of typographical errors and legibility problems commonly found when using scanned images in PDF files. Errors in the original works have been kept but annotated with corrections, and many more annotations containing background information have been added. Placing the mouse over the highlighted text will display any corrections or annotations. Place names have been cross-linked where appropriate to simplify navigation.
Reviews of version 3.0
...amazingly well-crafted CD...another stellar addition...
Your Family Tree, issue 101 (Spring 2011).
The CD was listed in Your Family Tree issue 100 () in their Top 100 Family History Resources, and described as
Superb examples of county-based resources.
Reviews of version 2.0
...impressive amount of material...nothing short of astounding. An absolute gem.
Your Family Tree, issue 62 ().
Runner-up, Specific Data CD of the Year, Your Family Tree, issue 71 ().
...annotations draw attention to contradictions within documents and add useful background information.
Family History Monthly, issue 155 ().
...easy to navigate...
Practical Family History, issue 124 ().
This CD will be of use to both genealogists and local historians interested in the north east of Scotland. Version 3.1 contains over twice as much data as version 2.0, including:
- Holden's directory entry for Aberdeen;
- Pigot's directory entry for Aberdeen;
- Pigot's directory of Aberdeenshire;
- Pigot's directory of Aberdeenshire, listing inhabitants of Aberdeen and all major towns in Aberdeenshire. See a sample section of Aberdeen streets;
- Chronicle of the Nineteenth Century (-) from the Aberdeen Free Press;
- University Bursary Competition results and surname index (-) with over 1,600 entries; Updated
- Mounthooly temporary Smallpox Hospital patient list and surname index;
- Local Events and Obituaries (, , - and ) from local newspapers (which includes Aberdonians who died abroad); Updated
- The entire text of the Aberdeen Weekly Journal for ;
- Aberdeen Journal birth, marriage and death notices for with over 2,700 entries;
- Selected entries from the Encyclopædia Britannica™ giving contemporary details of Aberdeenshire towns and people;
- Contiguous Parishes, to assist with searching for itinerant people;
- Gallery of local photographs; Updated
- Gazetteer of over 450 place names with precise OS National Grid references and cross-links to place names in the directories; Updated
- Members of Parliament since , and Bishops of Aberdeen since ;
- Annotated population tables for Aberdeenshire parishes (-);
- Utilities such as census year of birth calculator, and Easter Sunday calculator.
Orders: send a cheque made payable to K.R. Smith for £16 (includes £1 p&p) to:
K.R. Smith, 24 Lime Road, Oxford OX2 9EG, UK,
or order securely online: